I know most people probably associate reading with school, assignments, and stress, but I would beg to differ. When I think about reading a good book it always takes me to a place of such relaxation – laying out on the beach with the sound of crashing waves or cuddled up next to a crackling fire with a good cup of hot cocoa.
Some of my favorite genres of books are thriller/mysteries, classics, and of course romance. Here are a few certified page-turner picks of each category to keep you busy after you’ve watched all there is on Netflix!
2. The Girls by Emma Cline – Set in the height of the Charles Manson cult and murders, this novel follows the (fictional) story of a young Los Angeles teen who somehow gets caught up in one of the craziest events in recent history.
1. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens – Who wouldn’t want to read about cities as iconic as Paris and London? If you don’t know much about the French Revolution, this book is definitely one of the most entertaining and riveting ways to learn.
2. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger – Ok, I know everyone read this freshman year of high school, but did you actually take it all in? The story of Holden Caulfield makes much more sense when you read it with a little more maturity and wisdom under your belt, and his crazy escapade to New York City will have you nostalgic for the crazy times that come with being 17 and so utterly confused.
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald – So, we didn’t exactly get the roaring twenties we had hoped for, but you can certainly experience them through this classic novel, and get to know the real Jay Gatsby before you watch the Leo DiCaprio version (again).
1. Paper Towns by John Green – The story of a love-sick boy searching for a girl who really doesn’t want to be found with his high school best friends. A very sweet and wholesome tale that draws you in with the mystery of if he will ever find her, and if he does, then what?
2. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler – For anyone who loves New York and dreams of living there one day, you need to read this book. Sweetbitter is all about a fresh college grad girl who takes a risk to move to NYC and starts off working at a high-end restaurant. Get to know what really happens behind the kitchen doors, all the drama that ensues will surely be satisfying.