Winter is finally ending and we’re starting to see the sunlight at the end of the tunnel. As Spring is quickly approaching, we’re busy counting down the days to our favorite sun-drenched spring break destination. But do you know how harmful the coveted sunlight can be to your skin? Lucky for us, sunscreen has become a trendy product to have in your beauty arsenal and lots of beauty brands are coming up with new products that include sun protection. Not only can sunscreen help prevent skin cancer, but it can help you avoid premature aging, those pesky dark spots left behind by zits, and a more even skin tone overall, according to the Florida Dermatology and Skin Cancer Centers.
But when looking for the right sunscreen product to slather on when enjoying the sunny days ahead, it can be confusing what you should be looking for. Dermatologist Jill Feetham, of Dallas Center for Dermatology and Aesthetics, stresses the importance of wearing sunscreen every day and has a list of tips that you should follow when looking for the best sunscreen for your skin.
· It should have Broad Spectrum UVA and UVB protection
· It should be SPF 30 or greater
· The key ingredients should be Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide
· You should apply it at least 20-30 minutes before going outside
· You should re-apply it every 2 hours
Wearing sunscreen everyday isn’t as overwhelming as it sounds. Today’s beauty companies have taken the issue of sunscreen as a beauty product into their own hands. Trendy companies such as Supergoop and Coola have created products that are easy to use and can be incorporated into your daily routine. These products range from setting powders to use when finishing up your daily makeup look to moisturizers that are perfect for wearing under your makeup. Sunscreen doesn’t have to just be your standard lotion or spray that you buy at a drug store anymore.
Dr. Feetham recommends using Elta MD Clear for your face and Elta MD Sport for your body because it contains Zinc Oxide and is safe for acne prone skin. More and more people are learning the importance of using sunscreen daily causing an influx of sunscreen beauty products. This is making it more and more frustrating to try and find the right sunscreen for your beauty routine. If the Elta MD products aren’t what you’re looking for, this list is for you. These products come from trusted brands and follow Dr. Feetham’s recommendations.
· Supergoop! Mineral Invincible Setting Powder– This powder is $30 and comes in a variety of shades. It’s perfect for your everyday sun protection and will keep your makeup looking perfect all day. It also has an SPF of 45 and contains Zinc Oxide.
· Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream– This cream is $34 and also comes in shade ranges from Fair/Light to Medium/Dark. It also works as a foundation making it easy to add into your everyday makeup routine. It also has an SPF of 35, contains Titanium Dioxide, and Zinc Oxide.
· Coola Mineral Face Matte Untinted moisturizer– This cream is $36 and helps reduce unwanted shine under your makeup. Plus, it has an SPF of 30, contains Titanium Dioxide, and Zinc Oxide.
· Sunbum Mineral SPF 30 Sunscreen Spray– This $17.99 sunscreen is perfect for those beach days because of its convenient spray to reach all those awkward spots on your back and it’s reef friendly.
· Farmacy Green Screen– This $36 cream promises to be gentle on your face and it won’t leave an annoying white residue like other brands do. It also has an SPF of 30, contains Titanium Dioxide, and Zinc Oxide.
· Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid SPF 50 – This product is included in case you do actually want to run into the drug store and grab a sunscreen that will work. This $12.99 liquid works well under makeup or alone. It contains Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide.
With any of these products you can enjoy the sunny weather and keep your skin safe and looking flawless!