Each year on the first Monday in May, fashion and Hollywood’s elite dress up in their most glamorous looks for the Met Gala. This year’s event, which was set to be themed “About Time: Fashion and Duration,” was postponed indefinitely as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. In honor of the fashion moments that should have been shown on the red carpet tonight, we took a look back at some of the most iconic Met Gala looks of the past.
1. Rihanna’s bright yellow Guo Pei ensemble from the 2015 Met Gala themed “China: Through the Looking Glass” is unforgettable.
2. Blake Lively was the star of the red carpet in this Versace gown for 2018’s Met Gala, themed as “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination”.
3. Before Met Gala fashion was as extravagant as it is today, Cher stunned in her head-turning “naked dress” designed by Bob Mackie in 1974.
4. Any Met Gala list would be incomplete without one of Sarah Jessica Parker’s iconic looks. This one by Dolce and Gabbana is from the 2018 event.
5. Claire Danes’ gown for the 2016 “Manus x Machina” themed Met Gala may look relatively tame at first glance, but once inside the event, she revealed her Zac Posen gown glowed in the dark.
6. Naomi Campbell glistened in this Versace look from the 1995 punk-themed gala.
7. While not everyone was a fan, Kylie and Kendall Jenner definitely turned heads and stuck to the theme in their Versace gowns for 2019’s “Camp” themed gala.
8. Cher served an iconic look once again at the 1985 Met Gala, dressed by Bob Mackie.
9. From head to toe, Zendaya stunned in this Dolce & Gabbana gown for the 2017 Met Gala.
10. Billy Porter’s 2019 Met Gala look by The Blonds is the pinnacle of camp in the best way.